Then, there's that moment in the airport when you realize this is it. I'm putting my little girl on a plane, and God, please let her come back soon.
It's been almost four years, and the touch in-between has only been one. I have learned many things during the interim. Some good, some not so good. And as always, a mother has a few things to say. And on your 31st birthday, here's lookin' at you kid . . .
1. Never lose your childlike innocence.
2. Remember your brothers back home and those epic gorilla squeezes.
3. The glass will always be half-full.
4. Teach Caitlin and Noah the importance of family, especially that quirky Southern-Italian family from America.
5. Be impromptu. Serendipitous. Great traits for little girls.
6. Every now and then, put yourself first. It makes the others happy in the end.
7. Leave the past there.
8. Take responsibility for everything in your life.
9. Grandma Hill would be tickled pink spoiling Caitlin and Noah. Kind of like bringing her leftovers home to Silas - never!
10. Pray. It solves everything.